This week has been a busy one with Monday and Tuesday after school being taken up with qualifiers for the district athletics finals and Wednesday being finals day. We have had clubs running all year for athletics and the cream of the Pegasus coaching staff – Mr Powell, Mr Clarke, Mr Bird, Miss Smythe and Mr Stephenson were all busily engaged with official duties or just old fashioned encouragement for children from Pegasus taking part in the finals today. We had qualifiers in many of the events and must have been one of the most well represented organisations in the borough. A particular highlight was seeing the Year 6 boys' relay teams from Whitehorse Juniors AND Ecclesbourne coming first and second in one of the semi finals and being among the spectators cheering for BOTH teams. Medallists were:
- Anya from Year 5 at WHJUN who won the girls' long jump in her age range with a leap of 2.56m;
- Edward from Year 6 at WHJUN who took silver in the boys' 90m final;
- Rakeem from Year 4 at EPS who finished 2nd in the boys' 55m final;
- Yazmin from Year 4 at WHJUN who finished 3rd in the girls' 55m final;
- Jordan from Year 6 at WHJUN who finished second in the boys' long jump in his age range;
- WHJUN Year 6 boys' relay team ( Royan, Terrence, Edward, Jordan and Iremide) who took first place in the 'blue riband' event – the boys' 4X100m relay. An honourable mention goes to the Year 6 EPS boys who finished just outside the medals in the same event in 4th. The trophy they won 'The Croydon elementary schools shield' has been awarded since 1925 and our boys also won it in 1972, 2002, and 2010. It is avaliable for parents to look at in the display cabinet in WHJUN reception.
A brilliant afternoon and lovely to see so many friends from other schools in Croydon. Photos will follow tomorrow. Mr Roberts.