This morning members of the upper school pupil council travelled to Croydon Town Hall to meet the Mayor of Croydon with Miss Binks and Ms Francis. Councillor Humayin Kabir told us about his vision for Croydon and how he needed help from the young people of Croydon, his Junior Ambassadors, to help him raise money for his five chosen charities this year. The charities he has chosen to support this year are:
- Mind in Croydon, which promotes good mental health and seeks to empower people to lead a full life;
- Croydon Vision helps those who are blind or visually impaired and their families;
- Apasen International Care (Croydon) is a social care provider helping to meet the needs of vulnerable people;
- Ashdon Jazz Academy provides support to vulnerable young women and girls;
- Croydon Refugee Centre offers practical advice and support to all asylum seekers and refugees.
The children were asked to introduce themselves to the Mayor and share their ideas for fundraising. Over the course of the year, pupil council will be organising some events to raise money for the Mayor’s charities. In addition to this, the children also took part in a question and answer session with the Mayor.
The children were excellent representatives of the school and had a very exciting time at the Town Hall. We look forward to your support with our next fundraising project.